Lockout created unusual confusion for manning

8:34 AM Posted by Mario Galarza

Server is temporarily unavailable

THIBODAUX, La. -Peyton Manning in his element on a hot, sticky, balmy Friday morning as he tutored and mentored young gransden quarterbacks at the annual manning passing Academy at Nicholls State University.

Yet the football never left the Colts quarterback's hand. Need once.

It's all by design, but he feels it of not by his choice.

Peyton Manning provides direction during drills at the Manning Passing Academy. (AP) Peyton Manning provides direction during drills at the manning passing Academy. (AP) Manning is tiptoeing his way through rehab after having neck surgery in may, his second neck surgery in a 15-month span. And he of placing a heavy onus on the owners for keeping the players away from team facilities. More specifically, he blames the owners for keeping them away from the training rooms, and, in turn, not having injured players fully healed once the players and owners decide to get their act together for a labor agreement.

"[Player injury rehab is] one thing these owners did not take into account," Manning said. "You've got a guy rehabbing and you can 't use your training room and can' t use your trainer." It provides some obstacles. I've been very, very cautious and taking it very slow because I have been somewhat on my own in some ways. When you find a good coach and a good rehab guy that you like, it's a pretty special bond. These guys kind of know your body. "So the fact that I haven't had access to my guys and I've been somewhat on my own, I've been extra cautious and extra slow and making sure we don't have any setbacks."

Manning, who has played in 208 consecutive regular-season games, said his may neck surgery what a necessity - "I didn't have a choice." He would not go into many details, though, on how long it would take to fully recover or what he has been doing to rehab his twice-repaired neck.

On recovery-length: "it's really hard to give yourself to evaluation because I really need my coach and my doctor to get their hands on me and work for me."

On what he has to do as far as rehabbing his neck: "you're kind of getting out of my expertise." I'm following the doctors' orders. "I have exercises that he's requiring me to do."

On the feeling of getting old: "really need." I've [had] 20 years of outstanding health since I what a sophomore in high school. "I had surgery last year, rehabbed it and had a healthy 2010 season and played every play."

Manning what most tight lipped on the subject of whether he has actually been throwing yet. When asked if he could give some examples of what he can and can't do as far as throwing said simply in rehab, Manning, "No."

Eli Manning did not of shed any more light on how much the lockout affected his brother's rehab, saying, "you've got to ask him on that one."

Archie Manning might have given, inadvertently, the most insight as to what his son has done or can do on the football field.

"I think he's been a little frustrated because he can't go to his rehab guy and his place to do it, the Colts' place," Archie said. "In his mind it probably wasn't a good time to have surgery." ... I'm sure [the injury is] from hits... but he's been organizing workouts, throwing. "That's the way it is."

So there's that.

Manning's contract is another situation in limbo. He stands to make $23 million as the Colts' franchise player, but undoubtably desires a multiyear, multigabillion-dollar deal.

"I really haven't of had a whole lot of thought on that," Peyton said. "There'll be a time and a place to address that once the lockout ends among other questions." "At this point, I'm just focused on rehabbing hard."

His contract isn't the only thing manning hasn't of really paid much attention to in the past several months. He said his interest on the daily in the and outs of the lockout has waned.

"I followed it early and it just got so exhausting because every day was the day it was supposed to end, and that was like three months ago," Manning said. "I've gotten to the point now where I' ve just told Jeff Saturday to call me when I can go back to the facility because otherwise it has been exhausting every day of hopeful hoping that's the day." ... I have no information or insight as to when it's going to end. I don't of think it's this week, but hopefully it will going to be be real, real soon. ...

"I what following it every day for a while." Calling de Smith and calling Saturday and getting updates. It just seemed like it what so disappointing that it what a long way away. So I got off that daily call. It's kind of made my offseason... be more settled and not be so anxious in thinking if today's the day. That's carried out for a long time. It sounds like even when they do reach an agreement, the paperwork is going to take some time. "Being patient has been important."

Later I asked manning if he felt he should be more involved in labor talks, considering his name is on the antitrust lawsuit. His face soured after hearing the question.

"I know everything that I need to know," Manning said, matter of factly. "At this point there's a lot of talk between the lawyers that are making the decisions and I don't have a law degree." I'm involved. I know everything I need to know. "I don't have any reservations about that."

So who knows if his face soured even more as the 8th Circuit Court ruling in favor of the owners came down shortly after talking with reporters.

If you were interested in Manning's health or future this season and beyond, do not look here. Just more finger-pointing and "players despise owners" rhetoric.

At least his feelings toward the lockout are directly in line with the way fans feel at this point.

"The lockout hasn't been good for anybody, I don't think," Manning said. "The only winners in the lockout have been the lawyers."


View the original article here

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments:

Post a Comment